My Buns repertoire is growing and it is just so fun to take one good bread dough and make different types of buns from it. I have grown up with canned corned beef, which I know for sure is not a very healthy option as with SPAM luncheon meat but they taste so good that it is very hard to give up even if I am on a diet and sodium watch.
Same recipe as with all the previous buns, I just made up the bread dough but reduced the sugar to 2 tablespoon and only let the dough rest and rise once and divided them into 12 equal sized balls thereafter and stuffed the corned beef filling into them. I find that as I continue to make more of this dough, I don't really need to let the dough rest and rise 2 times as previously stated. The feel of this bread dough is very supple, like a deflated balloon feel. That is when I know the bread dough is ready to be filled and baked.
Buns : Filling :
3 cups Bread flour 12 oz/300g canned corned beef
2 tbsp sugar 1 tbsp chopped scallion
1 tbsp yeast 1 tbsp grated cheese
1 large egg
2 tbsp softened butter
2/3 cups warm water
1/3 cup warm milkMethod :
1. Mix the bread flour, yeast & sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Pour in the warm milk and warm water and stir to combine.
3. Beat the egg lightly and pour into the flour and water mixture. Using hands, start kneading the dough inside the bowl to combine the ingredients.4. Lastly, pour in the softened butter and continue to knead with hands or mixer. Sprinkle some bread flour into the mixture as you go along till you obtain a smooth dough but not dry.
5. Shape the dough into a ball and let it rise and rest for 1 hour, cover the bowl with cling film.
6. Take out the dough and knead for 1 minute. Divide the dough into 12 equal sized balls.
7. Take 1 dough ball and roll it out to a circle measuring about 4 inches in diameter. Place 2 tbsp of the corned beef filling onto the middle of the circle, gather up the edges to enclose and pinch.
8. Turn the smooth side up facing you and using both palms, cup the bun and slowly turn it anti-clockwise to firm the sides and make it rounder. Place the bun into an aluminum cupcake liner and place on large baking pan. Continue with the rest of the dough balls and filling.
9. Let the buns rest for another 30 mins. Preheat oven to 400F.
10. Using a kitchen shears, snip a small cross on the top of each bun, sprinkle and fill the cavity with some grated cheese and chopped scallions. Bake for 15 to 17 mins.
11. Remove and serve warm.
Makes : 12 buns